Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Favorites

When my children were growing up, every Christmas I would buy or make them an ornament to hang on our tree. They sometimes got ornaments from other family members, friends or school as well. After a few years of 6+ new ornaments a year, we needed an extra tree to hang them all on. So for several years, we had one tree in the dining room and another in the living room.

Now that my children have all moved on, I have only a few ornaments of my own, but they're all so special to me. Each year as I bring them out and unwrap them, it's like seeing a group of old friends. Here are a few of my favorites.

This is my oldest ornament. My grandparents gave it to me when I was 5 or 6. It's been on my tree every year since. I'm not sure you can see it, but my name is engraved across Rudolph's body.
I bought this donkey in 1983 on a trip to Ensenada, Mexico. I actually bought 4 corn husk ornaments for $1. This is the only one that has survived. Amberlou can have it when I die.

 We lived for several years in Northern New Mexico. This one is from the Nambe pueblo and reminds me of my time there.
 I collect dragons, and one day I came across this porcelain specimen. We named him Ebenezer. (My children named most of my dragons for me over the years.)

 I like to get ornaments from places I visit. I got this one on a trip with my daughter's high school choir in 1999.
 And this is from a store down the street from the house where we lived on Maui for over 5 years. My step-son calls it "The Black Pearl".
 My daughter made this lovely tree in kindergarten. She's getting married in about 10 days!

 My grandson's first Christmas...
 For many years, I did not have a tree topper. I never found one I liked and didn't want to spend the money on something that wasn't what I wanted. It drove certain friends and family members nuts! They were always trying to give me tree toppers that I thought were pretty tacky. Then, about 15 years ago, I found this angel at a craft show.
We named her Lizzy, after my children's favorite aunt, who is blonde and plays the violin. The years are starting to show on poor Lizzy here (not so much on Aunt Lizzy, who will be forever young!).

Merry Christmas from all the ladies of the Paisley Cupcake!

Lorie


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?