Monday, August 9, 2010

Batman Mask = {fail}

I have made several attempts to make my son a bat-child licensed character(TM) mask to go with the cool cape his Tutu made for him, and what can I say? I suck. 


Really, it's okay. Laugh. It looks terrible. This is attempt no. 2, and it is just plain awful. He can't breathe, the elastic pushes down his ears, I screwed up zig-zagging the eye holes, which are lopsided, so there are loose threads {everywhere}... 
oh and it makes him look like a retarded cat. 

My poor boy has been trying for a week to wear this to the grocery store, and I have no excuse not to let him, other than I don't want to admit that I {made} that thing! 

But he {really} wants a mask. 

It is apparently easier to fight crime when no one knows your true identity. Or something. 

I had an "Oh, duh!" moment at Herr Handsome's recent work party. 

Face paints. With magic markers. Oh, DUH!


Drew the outline of a mask


Filled it in. 

There are Mr. E's scary Batman eyes. I know, they're intimidating. 

And it washes. Right. Off. 

He went and looked in the mirror... and started to cry! (Tears {will} wash off the marker)

He wanted his mask to *look*like Batman.


All smiles! 

This also works waaaay better than eyeliner for drawing Captain Hook 'staches!


(slightly lopsided)

And it wipes off with a baby wipe. 


My life has suddenly become much less complicated! 

(Except for having to break out the magic markers every morning... but hey, {I} wear make-up everyday...)

<3 AmberLou



Shared at some of these parties

Visit thecsiproject.com

23 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but the fact that he wants to wear it to the grocery store struck me as hilarious. I didn't know batman did his own shopping...

    Thanks for the laugh!

    suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he wanted to wear it to the grocery store then he must have thought it was great! what a great Mom you are, bravo to batman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute pics. Seems like he is a lucky little boy with an awesome imagination. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute and funny! I too have children that like to dress up for outings. At least we are never bored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my blog is fullofgold.blogspot.com. i'd love to have you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! You're so funny...Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    And link up all you want for more chances to win 30 days FREE ad space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea! Hilarious post, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny! When my daughter was a bit younger, she always went out dressed as a different princess. I love your creativity of using markers, no worries about loosing dressup items!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's adorable...and so is he! :) I love to see little kids dress up!

    Check out my Superhero Cape that I posted today. It looks complicated, but actually it was pretty easy.

    :)
    Liz
    The Nifty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwwww....he is such a cutie! A lot of my projects FAIL the first time....it wasn't that bad! Keep it up...you'll make it work! Trial and Error! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday at PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who knew you could face paint with a magic marker? You son looks very happy.

    Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

    Kat

    www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny! I probably would have let my son wear it even if it wasn't perfect. You found a great solution. Thank you for sharing with Fabric fun Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I remember growing up we would wear out hats backward and have our nose sticking out of the hole in the back. As I got older (4) I started getting nose bleeds from it. Hehehe, good times. Anyway, I love the idea of marker on the face. I'm going to do it right now with my princess (not a batman mask but a butterfly or crown) Reminds me of the clown masks my mom would draw on my friends and I. Man, now I miss being little!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The marker works great but you could try felt for a mask as well- no need to zig zag

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you use pleather or vinyl, you won't have to finish off the eyeholes so lopsidedness won't be a problem. I don't think it is quite the epic fail you say it is, though. It really is pretty good.

    xo -Elizabeth
    emsewandsew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is so cute!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would try felt--it is very forgiving! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh he is so cute and you're too funny! My kids love to dress up as well. I think your mask turned out better then any I've attempted. Great idea to use markers-I think my kids would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the picture with the scary eyes! And the next picture where he's all smiles is just adorable!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's! I saw some face paint yesterday at a store and thought of this project! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a late comment, but for what it's worth, I don't think it's a fail. If your kid likes it, that's a win!! That said, if you like, we can post it over at CraftFail. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?