Friday, August 6, 2010

Lorie's Famous Sandwich Loaf

http://thepaisleycupcake.blogspot.com/2010/07/round-bread.htmlUpdate! I mentioned in my superhero cape post that I had wasted my time making it reversible. Well, one day recently, E decided that Superman was cooler than Batman (at least for a moment or two). His Mamma captured the moment for all the world to see!



Now on to this week's post...

One of my family's favorite meals is my baked-in-the-bread sandwich loaf. I got the inspiration for this meal when I was a young Navy wife living in San Diego, from a recipe published in the local paper. The original recipe was called a "Reuben Loaf" and called for corned beef, saurkraut and Russian dressing. I knew my children would never go for that, so instead of the Reuben sandwich ingredients, I substituted ham and cheddar cheese. It became an immediate hit and I've been making it and sharing the recipe since.

Start with your favorite bread dough. Here  is one that I like. If you use my recipe, it will make two large loaves, so cut it in half for one. Or make one sandwich loaf and one round loaf. After the dough has risen once, punch it down and roll it into a rectangle. Don't get too hung up about the shape. An oblong or oval will work fine too.


Spread your sandwich filling down the center of the dough like this (see what I mean about not worrying about the shape? )


Then cut 5-6 slashes on either side of the dough thusly

Then, "braid" the dough by covering the filling first with one side's strips

then the other side

until they're all done. Again, don't worry too much about what it looks like at this point. The dough will rise and fill it in.

Put the loaf on a greased baking sheet and set it in a warm place to rise until doubled in size. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes. I like to serve with an assortment of salads and mustard or other dipping sauce.


Just for fun, since I don't have small children any more, I decided to make this more like the original recipe. I made a rye dough (substituting rye flour for the whole wheat) and used corned beef, swiss cheese and saurkraut for the filling.



I served it with Russian dressing on the side, Asian slaw and a fruit salad. It was delicious!
Bon appetit!!

Lorie

23 comments:

  1. I want to chime in here to say I have been making Lorie's recipe for a number of years. Variations I have used are...
    1. Taco meat and cheese served with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream after baking.
    2. Diced cooked chicken, cream cheese, mushrooms and olives: served with a cordon bleu sauce.
    3. The most common in our household is ham and cheese, sounds boring. But visitors have raved about it.
    Happy Baking ~jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of Lorie's grown children, and I have to say this is one of the recipes that all 6 of us could agree that we liked when the ages ranged from 3 to 12.

    Also I noticed the pictures you guys put up along the side and I did some math and saw that Saturdays and Sundays were not claimed. You should make Saturdays like for guest features or something. Like a friend in church who has a great idea can post something or something. Or a dedicated viewer or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks so good! I am going to have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum yum! Looks delish!!!! I am a huge fan of simple meals like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwwwwww this is so awesome and even cute!!!!
    I wanna go make this right now..but first things first,gotta go check out the rest of the awesomeness youve made here!
    don't worry i will let ya know when i do!
    And i so so adore the pinkness of this place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, I am saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing on my Foodie Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!! I think a pizza one would be yum too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. It is almost like calzone but better. Ohh the wonderful things you could do with this and it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! And love how it looks when done. How fun to serve this at a party!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing. The finished product is amazing. Hope you link up with tasty tuesdays again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've tried something like this, with BBQ pulled pork as the filling. My family would love the Reuben sandwich version!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome! I would have never thoght of doing that. I will be making this again and again!The possibilities for fillings are almost endless. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I honestly have no clue how I stumbled upon your blog but sure glad I did. This looks so good, fairly simple and with enough flair that I won't bore everyone to death. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Becki

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm - I am thinking this would be fabulous at a ladies luncheon. It looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yum! That looks so pretty and yummy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fantastic! Kind- of reminds me of a kid-favorite during school - the Turkey cheese Roll up? Only fancier and I'm sure more tasty and not filled with all preservatives and high fructose corn syrup!

    Glad to have come across your blog :)
    -Carrie

    www.benandcarrietracks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This does sound good! And the finished product looks so fancy!

    Thanks for linking up with for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious as well as easy! Thanks so much for the recipe:).

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  21. this sounds great one of my best friends makes sausage bread where sausage is wrapped in the middle but this recipe sounds grand a little bit glamorous than cold cuts making it a supper meal for sure

    ReplyDelete
  22. It look good! It's lunch right now and I have no food (visiting my MIL) and I'm drooling! Great idea for a fun sandwich~!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I commented on this awhile back, but I'd like to invite you to link up to Foodie Friday tomorrow.

    ~ The Speckled Dog
    http://thespeckleddog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?