Thursday, August 26, 2010

Paint Sample Pumpkins



Here we go again! Its round 4 of the Iron Crafter and this time the secret ingredient was paint samples. I had to get in on it since I'm all about crafting for cheap...how much cheaper can free paint chips get???

I have been in the mood for fall. The weather here in Idaho has been rather cool the past few days and the brisk-ness plus being back on the University campus gave me the idea to get a head start on fall decor sooo, I give you:
The Paint Sample Pumpkins
To make this craft you will need some 4 chip paint samples [the longer the better.]
Ribbon {not pictured}

And some brads. Which might I add a ridiculously hard to find around these parts! So yes, your vision is correct...I bought brads that look like volleyballs! It was the largest I could find and I figured it doesnt really matter since they wont be visible on the finished product.

The next step is pretty simple. Poke the brad through the bottom of the paint samples.
I did 7 chips on the small pumpkin and 11 on the large one.
Open the brad so they dont all fall off!!!
It should look something like this:


Now do the same thing through the tops of the samples and open the brad when all are attached. It make a little ball that resembles a pumpkin. (I will admit I wasnt sure my idea was going to work but, when my 2 year old agreed that I indeed had made a pumpkin I knew I was on the right path. 2 year olds never lie:)

Using some green ribbon I knotted it and cut frays to make it have a stem and then, I too saw a cute lil pumpkin that will sit on my bookcase this fall.

For the larger pumpkin I used brown paint chips to make raffia and knotted and hot glued them to the top of the pumpkin.

I wish my camera was better, this is about the best shot I could get! Crafting possibilities are endless!!!
Enjoy making your own fall decor and go vote for me at fireflies and jellybeans!
-Amanda

9 comments:

  1. So cute and inexpensive. They turned out so much cuter than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a clever way to use paint chips! I love it!
    Every time I see them..I wonder what I could do with them - now I know. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I would have never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is really cute! I love that!

    xoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute idea! I too am getting in the mood to decorate for fall. You can never have too many pumpkins

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I am definitely bookmarking this! Love it.
    alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a very cool, unique, original idea! I love these! I am featuring them at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" butotn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gave you an award at my blog

    kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?