Monday, August 2, 2010

Country Living

I am blessed to be able to live in a very rural area. You know, the kind where everybody knows everybody, and neighbors {don't} work on their vehicles at midnight and wake up my baby, until I walk the 1/4 mile to their house in my bathrobe and tell them to shaddup, keeping an eye out for {skunks} the whole way... 
oh wait, that did happen. 

Anyway, one of the great things about my {country} life (aside from being able to squeeze a chicken anytime I need to bake a cake) is that I have a lot of space. 

I have a large garden, really more than my family of 3-and-a-baby needs, and I have a cute little corn patch, that does not have a problem with crows...

But do you think that's going to {stop} me from making a scarecrow? 

Not!

And of course I made my scarecrow a lady scarecrow. :o) 


Meet Ruby: 




A 6'2" statuesque blonde who works hard for a living. (And no, not in a working-girl kind of way) Since I don't have a crow problem, rather than calling her a "Scarecrow", I'm going with "Corn Shepherdess"

I made her body using 3 pieces of scrap wood. I used my own dimensions (height-wise. No way am {I} that skinny) to distance her head, arms and hips. (Should have gone to her waist- not hips... then clothes would fit better...) I used Herr Handsome's drill and some 3" screws to attach the arms and hips to the main beam.



I made Ruby's head with a piece of a burlap feed sack, stuffed with {straw} of course! Right there is another {perk} of rural life: my chicken feed comes in burlap sacks, so I've got a lot of it. 




Doesn't she have a lovely face?

I got a skein of yellow yarn at a thrift store for 50 cents, and attached it to a thrift store hat to make lovely long hair, which I braided. (Girl is outside all day, she needs to have her hair off her neck.) I decided to make her blonde, cause I hear they have more fun.

I attached her head to her body with staples, and covered the staples with some jute twine. 




Ruby's shirt, skirt, and belt, and bra are thrifted or hand-me-downs, and I added a flower to her belt with hot glue. I was going to stuff the bra with straw, but I thought that might be too {itchy}, so I stuffed it with polyester stuffing. Lucky girl is a D-cup! 



I threaded a rope through her skirt to cinch it tight above the "hips", and tied and {stapled} the belt to the hips. The skirt was a LOT longer, but I was sure if I left it so long, some critter would come make a nest in her drawers, and pop out and scare me while I'm working outside, so I cropped it. Ruby looks like the kind of gal who can pull it off though, right?

Total cost for my {sassy} scarecrow?


Shirt - on hand
Skirt - on hand
belt - 10 cents
hat - $1
 yarn - 50 cents
burlap, wood, straw, acrylic paint - on hand


Total cost: $1.65


She's cheap! (and fairly easy)




<3 AmberLou






Sharing at these parties...

25 comments:

  1. Your yard goddess is awesome!!! I love it!!! I think we all need one of these whether we have a garden or not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super 'scarecrow' - she's so pretty! Scarecrows used to really ick me out as a kid, and it's lovely to see one that just scares the birds and not little humans - well done!!
    April at www.21stcenturyhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your corn shephardess! She is awesome. Had to laugh at the closeups of the face. Due to the straw, she has a bit of whisker action going on. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

    Awesome job, girl. You made me smile.

    suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute. I will have to make one for fall for my grandchildren to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Ruby is so cute! I want to make a girly scarecrow now, and put it on our front yard. But I don't want to scare away the birds that we're feedings. Dilemma....Thanks for the instructions. Oh, yeah, I've come by via All Thingz Related.

    Su-sieee! Mac
    This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes Then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the shade of Ruby's lipstick.:p
    i like her get-up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a different scarecrow. Nice job!
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  9. FUN! Now I wish I had a larger garden. My only garden pest is our pet pig! I doubt Ruby would help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the scarecrow. Very Girly Girlish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's sooo cute!! I need Ruby for my backyard!! Thanks for sharing:)
    Visiting from justsewsassy.com
    come by and check out my fun giveaway going on right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE SCARECROWS! Yours is adorable. La

    ReplyDelete
  13. That the cutest scarecrow ever--love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Ruby...she is a great corn sheperdess!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How silly you are - I love all of your attention to detail. For some reason the flirty skirt cracks me up! Thanks for linking up with Fabric Fun Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's one good looking Corn Shepherdess!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to live in the country. I miss it. We had tractor day at my high school. :) This scare crow girl is so cute!!

    Thanks for linking to Transform Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for linking up. I am having a Stash-Busting September party. Check the blog for details soon...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love her! I am pretty sure that is the cutest scarecrow I've seen. WE just bought land in the country and I'm so excited to have space and now a girl scarecrow.
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is cute! Thanks for joining us at "AP Tuesdays!" @ New Nostalgia! Hope to see you again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute! I love her! (I bet the boy scarecrows would like her too! lol.)

    Thanks for linking up with for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?