Monday, July 5, 2010

Little Boy's Snake Tie



Have you seen this great craft? 






It was everywhere a few weeks ago, and I thought to myself, "{Self}, how fun would it be to reverse that, and make the tie a tie {AND} a snake?"


"You're right, {self}! That would be sooo groovy!"

For this super cute little snake tie, You will need:



1/8 yard polyester, or a cotton-poly blend
1/8 yard unbleached muslin, for lining
1/8 yard iron on interfacing
ribbon and buttons -or- googly eyes for the snake face (optional. You could just make a super cute tie and skip the snake face, if you'd prefer)
one of Dad's ties for a pattern (don't worry! we won't hurt it!)

A word about {polyester}: I don't love it. It is icky and hard to sew. BUT if you want your tie to slide properly, you need to use material that is at least partially synthetic. {Sorry}. :( 

This tie was for my four year old. I made it 40 inches. To determine the best length tie for the {little boy} in your life, the best thing to do is to tie Daddy's tie onto him, and measure how much extra tie is hanging off the back. Subtract this length from the tie when you cut it out. 

Mark Daddy's tie with a pin to the desired length of your little boy tie



Iron your interfacing to the unbleached muslin, and layer with your {polyester} fabric. 

Pin Daddy's tie on top


Cut out the tie, leaving at least a half inch gap between Daddy's tie and your cut line. Like this:





At the little end, of the tie, be sure to flip Daddy's tie over, so you don't cut it! (I promised him his tie would be unharmed!)


Cut the little end of the tie into a point



Now pin the two pieces (polyester, and muslin/interfacing) right sides together, and sew the small V.


Cut a 2" section of ribbon and pin between the layers of the big V, with the length pointing in, and sew the big V.

Turn your tie right side out and press the Vs.

(Cut your ribbon into a little forked tongue. {Do it!} So cute!)



Make sure you have your iron set to a fairly low temperature, as synthetic material will burn and melt and get all yucky if you get it too hot!

Next, stitch your tie, right sides out, down both long ends



Pin right sides together, 

And sew the back seam. 

Press the back seam open, like this. 


Now turn Mr. Snakey right side out. A pair of {clean} needle nose pliers is invaluable for this step!


Once Mr. Snakey is turned right side out, press well. {Very well}. Make him flat! 

I used craft glue to attach Mr. Snakey's eyes, but you could also sew on some small black buttons, or stitch on some eyes with embroidery thread.  



Get your hubby to tie your tie on a sweet little boy, (or if you are super Mom, tie it yourself) and set him loose to bug all of the little girls in church. 




{The Paisley Cupcake cannot be responsible for damage caused by little boys chasing little girls while wearing Mr. Snakey tie. We do not recommend Mr. Snakey be worn at weddings or funerals. 
-end disclaimer-}

Stay tuned, we'll announce the winner of the Newsboy Cap giveaway later today!

<3 AmberLou




I shared this tutorial at these parties






NightOwlCrafting


1. What is your favorite restaurant? 
Anything not chain. I love local Mom & Pop diners
2. What kind of music do you like? 
Country and Reggae
3. What do you watch on TV? 
Don't have it  :D (If I did, I wouldn't get any crafting done!)
4. Do you enjoy reading and if so what kind of 
books do you read? 
I love reading, and will read anything. My favorite author is Amy Tan... or Steinbeck...
5. What is your favorite color? 
green!

45 comments:

  1. Super cute! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.My.Gosh. I love this post. You are too funny. I love the tie too - makes me wish I knew some little boys. :) What a great little tie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and I love the photo of the model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is truly the CUTEST! What a great idea, and wonderful tutorial, thank you! Got to make these for my nephews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Gosh!! So cute! Love projects for little boys!! I'm a new follower - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. Love the expression on the face of your model as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable... I saw this in All Thingz Related and this is the cutest idea ever... you can make your little man stylish, dressed up and cute at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I've never seen one before. Thank you so much for the tutorial, I'm going to try one. I'm visiting with tot tuesday's, and I'm your newest follower. Hope you visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is too cute. I wonder if my hubby would wear this....hm....

    ReplyDelete
  10. he's adorable in his new tie. I wonder if my seven year old would wear one?? I sure hope so, it'd be fun to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for joining us for Anything Related #14!! ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  12. *gasp* No tv? lol! Sometimes I think we'd be better off without, then my favorite show will come on, and I'll change my mind. ;) Visiting from Hoo Are You!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! I love the disclaimer, because that's how church would end up for us :)

    I can't tie ties for the life of me...for now we're sticking with clip ons for my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my heavens how adorably cute! thanks for linking up to my tutorial and thanks for letting me know of your wonderful take on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute tie! More power to you for not having tv! I don't watch it a lot, but I still have my shows that I love to watch! Thanks for linking up to Hoo are you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I'm a new follower via Hoo Are You? Wow, no TV ... humm, I can't say that :(

    I'm with you - love mom and pops, usually the best food and of course, better prices as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in love! I want one of these for my son!!! (and my husand!!!) I will feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button. This should send some traffic your way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute!! I featured your little boy cap today at Make It Wear It. Stop on by and grab a featured button! I hope you'll link up this super cute tie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea to make tie wearing fun.

    visiting from Transformation Thursdays

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think my husband would wear that...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE it and my son would love it for sure!!!! He would probably get in trouble if he wore it to church though. I'm sure he would be slithering on the floor. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for linking with Fabric Fun Thursday! This is so cute & fun, I'm sure little boys would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that's a winner, winner, chicken dinner! Will HAVE to make that tie for my boys!
    Smiles!

    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, this is darling! I just wish I could sew!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh! This is just too cool for words. [this kind of snake even I THINK is adorable]


    LEGEND OF MARY'S BEAN is my Friday blog.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute. I want one for my little dude.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Adorable tie on a very serious model!

    I've always wondered how ties were sewn...now I know! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is so cute! I love it! What a great way to entice a child to wear a tie, make it fun! Great job and thanks for linkin to It's Stinkin Cute Craft Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So cute! Love the disclaimer at the end. And what an adorable picture! Why do little boys always get the curls?

    Thanks for linking up to finished for Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute and creative! I have no boys but if I get the chance to make one for a gift or something...i will! Thanks for linking up to It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a cute idea, I'm always looking for sewing projects for my son. Thanks for sharing!

    http://adventuresincreating.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have been featured!!! Check it out at the link below:

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2010/07/mad-skills-monday-link-party-16.html

    Feel free to snag my featured button! See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. As a tie afficiado, I have to say, I would wear one if it were in an adult size. I may even have a rattlesnake skin tie bar to wear with it!

    What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness, is that ever so cute. I wish my son were still little. I doubt he'd wear it being 17 years old now. Hmmmm... Thank you for sharing. This may be a great idea for my little cousins for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Super cute. I love your post...you are so funny.

    Thanks for linking up to my Christmas party.

    Great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh. My. Goodness! I have 2 and 4-year-old boys who are SO getting these for Christmas!!! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is too cute! My 5 year old nephew needs one of these!

    Thanks for stopping by for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I came back to let you know that I'm featuring you this week! Come by and pick up my "featured" button if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I LOVE this!!! I really need a little boy.
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'll be featuring this tomorrow!
    -Crystal
    crystalscraftspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looooooove it! This may be my new Go-to Boy's Birthday gift now!
    I'll try it out with my own three little men-in-training.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?