Thursday, July 29, 2010

Art That Will Make You Sing.





I have a beautiful, antique piano that I like LOVE to play. There is nothing better {in my mind} than sitting down and expressing whatever Im feeling on the piano keys. 
However, there is one tiny problem.
My piano is a little bare. Usually, you walk into someone's home that has a piano and its covered with pictures and/or decor....I got nothing!
So I decided to change that and made a canvas {masterpiece!} haha.


To make your own canvas artwork you will need:
-3 6x12 stretched canvas
-5 pages of vellum [I used sand colored to make it look antiqu-ey]
-Mod Podge & paint brush
-Scissors to trim paper.
-decorative hinges
First thing to do is find some sheet music preferably with no words and print it onto your vellum. If it doesnt take all 5 pages, make an extra copy. (the paper only cover 3/4 of the canvas so you will be trimming the pages and matching it up on the bottom...hence, extra copies)
note: If you wanted to put this on a bookcase you could copy pages out of a book...I suggest Jane Austen:)

Next, pour Mod Podge on your blank canvas {as shown} and spread it around, even on the sides, with your paint brush.

 Then line up your vellum where you want it and press to the canvas and sides. [Vellum isn't as bendy so you may want to try using onion paper...which I couldnt find at our local stores.]
I liked the vellum because you have more colors to choose from and the way it bubbled made it look like old sheet music.
After you stick your paper to the canvas add Mod Podge to the top and smear around once more. It will create creases {which I wanted} but if you want it smooth...BE GENTLE!
Let it dry.
Then you will want to trim the edges if they hang over too far.
After that, using a screwdriver, screw in the hinges where you would like them.
You can set on top of your piano {or bookcase} and it looks like an open hymn book or even hang it on your wall.


easy as pie...and almost fool proof!




Dont judge by the pictures...I did it with my crappy camera phone!!! 
Happy Thursday!

504 Main

22 comments:

  1. what a cute idea! My piano is naked too. Maybe I'll have to try this.

    Thanks for linking to Transform Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a creative idea! Nothing worse than a nekkkid piano they say;-0 Thanks for linking up to We Can Do It Cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a cool idea. My daughter may wind up missing some of her sheet music :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable idea, Amanda! I love the ornate sheet music you used. You did SUCH a great job -- (it looks gorgeous even with the phone camera).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative, and certainly fit the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very crative! Great job!

    Thanks for linking up to The Iron Crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! This would be a wonderful gift too, for a music lover or if you can find the music to a favorite song or a meaningful song for someone. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty. I have a few vintage pictures I should photo copy and display this way. That way they would all be connected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME! Love that idea!!! Wow...I'd have never thought of something like that. I'm a follower now too! Thanks so much for sharing that!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful idea! My poor piano is covered with pictures and stuff that always needs dusting. This is much more elegant. Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO pretty! You did a great;)

    Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so great! Yes, I agree, pianos should be decorated, as well! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love anything decorated with sheet music! So classic and timeless! What a pretty piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great idea!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful creation! I love the triptych format and the way you used vintage sheet music to solve your decor dilemma. Love the idea of using the Jane Austen pages for a bookshelf piece too! So glad I clicked through from Tickled ink at 504 Main! Best, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a great idea! I love music art.

    -CK

    PS found you through iron craft challenge

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks just awesome! totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is darling! You could use it anywhere for a little inspiration. I am hosting a link party on my blog this weekend about words/quotes (The Weekend Word Search). Please consider stopping by! Your project would be a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute and creative! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday at PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! It's very sophisticated (didn't make me sing though - no idea how to read music!)

    I'm having a 200th Follower link party. If you have a free moment, I'd love for you to post this project on my blog. Thanks!

    http://lambaround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is really beautiful...what a great idea for the piano. I think the hinges are a really nice touch too. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amanda-
    I love the look of sheet music or book pages in decorating. This is one of those projects that has me saying to myself - why didn't I think of that? I have a piano in my house that no one plays - maybe something like this will cheer it up.

    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?