Thursday, July 1, 2010

Inspired by Others

I wanted to make an outfit for my granddaughter with a patriotic flair.I used pattens and inspiration of others to achieve this...The red skirt was my bargain find a couple of months ago on clearance at our local Fred Meyer store. I think it was less than $2. The blue shrug was inspired by Make It and Love It! I didn't follow that pattern precisely because I didn't have a t-shirt to cut up, so I made a pattern and used the royal blue jersey knit and started from scratch. I also did the ruffle different, but the concept is the same. Living in Idaho, even on the 4th of July, we get chilled watching the community firework display, so a little something to cover up bare shoulders is necessary. This will work perfectly.The little top is the shortened version of a pattern I have had for years. My daughter tells me the pattern is 'vintage'. However, I personally cannot consider 1984 vintage. That was just yesterday, wasn't it(Don't tell anyone that is when I graduated high school)?
The hairbow I made myself and was actually inspired by a similar looking patriotic banner as this one.
I used a 2 1/2 wide strip of fabric and just made little pleats with a needle and thread along one edge. I gathered up the pleats until it formed a circle and knotted the thread. Not hard, even if you don't sew. I left the thread and needle dangling until I found the perfect button, which I paid 13 cents for at a local craft store. I stitched it on then used remaining thread to stitch a bobby pin on the back so it would attach directly to hair or a headband, as you see in the pictures. AND the bracelet was made by paisleycupcakes own collaborating author, AmberLou. I am partial but I think she looks adorable in her festive 4th of July attire. Well worth the $4.70 it cost, including the price of the skirt. Have a wonderful and safe 4th of July.
~jan



I have linked to...




SYS Thurs
giveaways






Get your craft on Thurs.

MuralMaker and More


NightOwlCrafting

5 comments:

  1. Aww, those a very sweet and the cutest model!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so cute, she's posing and stylin', love it-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable outfit! I love the one in the hair! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?