Friday, July 2, 2010

My favorite cookies

When my husband and I were dating, he used to surprise me with some cookies from a little shop near his office. They were called something like "peanut butter brownie bites" and were very crispy and kind of a chocolate-marbled type cookie. I liked them very much, but don't really like to buy cookies. It's a minor insult to my domestic goddess-hood. Besides, I'm kind of cheap. So I decided to try to make them myself. With the help of this book

this is what I came up with:


Lorie's Peanut Butter Brownie Crisps
And yes, I know that I'm one of the very few people in the civilized world whose favorite cookie is NOT chocolate chip!

The ingredients:


The process starts with the peanut butter dough:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 3 tablespoons milk (I used soy milk, but regular milk works fine)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt (didn't make it into picture)
Cream butter, peanut butter, sugars and corn syrup together in large bowl.


After the mixture is creamy, beat in the milk and vanilla, then the dry ingredients. Mix well and set PB dough aside. 


Now make the chocolate dough. I make it in the same mixing bowl as the PB kind. I don't wash either the bowl or the beaters, since I'm gonna fold it all together anyway. 
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Cream together sugars, butter and corn syrup until light.


Then beat in milk, vanilla and cocoa powder. Add dry ingredients and mix well.


Combine chocolate and peanut butter doughs










and fold gently to make a marbled mixture.











Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet (mine is lined with parchment paper for easier clean-up, but it's optional).









Here's a close up so you can see the marbling better...










Bake at 375 for 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a minute or so before trying to remove them. They're very soft when they come out of the oven, but will firm up very quickly.










 This recipe makes about 4 dozen 2 inch cookies. They only get better and better as they cool.


UPDATE: I originally posted this recipe on my blog. Since then, I have a new job, and one of my responsibilities is to inspect the very bakery where the inspiration cookies for this recipe come from. I did tell them that I've eaten their cookies and enjoyed them, but did not tell them that I've created my own recipe that I enjoy even more!


Foodie Friday on Designs by Gollum

6 comments:

  1. I am having a birthday soon. I wish you lived closer so you could make me some:) They look simply heavenly, Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you make them without the corn syrup? My honey can't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but without corn syrup they won't be as crisp. Just substitute white or brown sugar for the CS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is oatmeal cookies:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, Im going to have to hunt that book down =)
    Following you from Hoo Are You

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had these - they are as good as advertised! mmmMMmmm!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?