Thursday, July 8, 2010

Monogrammed Wall Art


This past Christmas I did a "semi-homemade" Christmas. (Having 3 teen-aged boys made the it difficult to have a complete homemade Christmas. I wanted to make them all Snuggies, but 2 out of 3 rejected the idea.) My daughter and SIL actually had an IOU because my computer printer had issues and wouldn't print. But the following is what I made for them.



I made a monogrammed wall art using Microsoft Word on my PC. I first typed their last name, Moser. Then in all lowercase letters I typed events and celebrations and a few humorous things in consecutive order of their 3 1/2 years together. I didn't use any punctuation to seperate the events, although you could use a dash or infinity sign etc. if you chose to. I did not, in part, because after several events are on the page you will spend quite a bit of time playing with margins, spacing and font size.

In order to make the first letter of the last name so big, you use the 'drop cap' option. You will find this option under 'Insert' and then on the 'text' section towards the right. I always used the 2007 version of Word. So if your version is different, you may have to search for this option.

For the events I used font BernhardFashionBT in size 22. For the 'M' I used Goudy OlSt Bt in size 399!



After some playing around with the font, I did delete somethings that didn't fit right and reworded some for spacing. If you get frustrated, SAVE it and walk away. There are variations you can do to fit the person you are making it for.

Child's Room - Use the first initial of your child and then for the events use milestones in their lives. Possibly religious achievements, recitals, performances, vacations, funny things they have said etc. I think this is a great way to accentuate the positive in their lives.

Wedding Gift - Use the last name initial, center it and then use the words from the invitation and create a border. It will look similar to this...



This wall art has the last name initial centered then a border (Using Power Point-I made the border in text boxes then rotate them - after making the lines of the box white to match my paper). The border is the names of the last 6 generations of Johnson's who carry on the family name. So the youngest is my 6 year old great nephew and the oldest is my great grandfather.

Have fun with it. Get creative. This wall art is only as expensive as you choose, depending on the frame you put it in. Make your own frame and the gift becomes completely homemade.

Disclaimer: I am not a graphic designer. I do this kind of thing often and learn something new each time. There could be an easier way to do it. Ask around to someone who knows more about layouts on the PC, they may laugh at my techniques- or lack thereof. Happy Crafting!

~jan


I have linked to...
I heart naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes

giveaways
Beyond The Picket Fence

HookingupwithHoH


Get your craft on Thurs.

Sumo Sweet Stuff

UndertheTableandDreaming

Photobucket


The Girl Creative
Keeping It Simple


Making Your Home Sing Monday at...
MomsTheWord

toolsareforwomentoo

19 comments:

  1. I think personal gifts are the best! Just happened on to this as I'm here looking for that super cute Snake tie!
    Smiles!

    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this above my bookcase...its perfect home decor...and I Heart that it is so personal. It brings back fond memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great idea, and they look really classy.
    Storing this away for future holiday uses!
    (Visiting from New Friend Fridays!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful. What a great homemade gift idea.

    I would love it if you also linked this up over at my Christmas in July linky party.

    Hope to see you there.

    Just Another Day in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this, it's very classy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely fabulous! So simple and inexpensive, but personal and memorable! Well done! It would also be cool to use the dictionary and list a bunch of words that start with 'M', like magnificent, marvelous, multi-talented, etc.! I mean, in case you couldn't come up with 3-1/2 years worth of events. I LOVE it! I've posted a link! I'd love it if you joined my link party sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those look so nice!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great gift idea! This is so memorable and meaningful. For some one who might be strapped for cash this is wonderful since picture frames can always be found at garage sales. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from a little lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I thought about making one of these a few years ago and then forgot all about it - I'm so glad you reminded me! Yours is adorable! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really a great idea and very personable (not to mention practical). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I love monogram stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for such a great idea. I hopped over from It's so Very Creative--linky party:) I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a great idea for a wedding gift, personal, nothing anyone else will give them and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Love it! I just started a link party and I would LOVE it if you'd consider adding your crafts to it! I'm having flower headband giveaway as part of our first party too! http://imtopsyturvy.com/index.php/2010/07/topsy-turvy-tuesdays-1/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This makes a wonderful personalized gift for just about anyone! Thanks for sharing these tips! Following you thru the DIY Club. Pam @ Sallygoodin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful idea. I bet they loved it.
    -Crystal
    crystalscraftspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these ideas! Hopefully you will not mind if I borrow them!

    Michelle @ One Crafty Chick's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jan, I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!
    I am featuring it on somewhat simple this Friday. Thanks for sharing, I totally want to make this for all my family members this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?