Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tulle Tuesday

I decided to spruce up my toddlers bedroom by combining some of my loves.
1- My love of anything vintage. I used the bedding from my toddler bed and copied the color scheme my brilliant mother came up with...Peach and Sea foam Green.
2- My love of anything pretty and girly. I think that tulle and ribbon falls into this category.
3- My love of quick and easy... Who doesn't love easy?
Introducing..{drum roll please} the Tulle Frame.
To make you will need:
-8x10 size picture frame...remove glass. I used an old one I had lying around because free is just as awesome as easy.

- 1 1/2 yards of tulle. ( I did 3 colors, 1/2 yd. each.)
- Ribbon and scrapbooking supplies (only if you want a tag.)

- Something to frame...I picked a wooden letter that I also had lying around and it just happens to be the letter of my daughter first name.
First off, you will want to make sure your frame (and letter) is painted to match not only the room but the tulle color choice. That way if it peeks through its not super noticeable.
After that we are ready to start cutting the tulle into strips.
There is really no right or wrong way to do this and to be honest not all my pieces were the same size. I like it to be perfectly imperfect.
One way to make it easier is to roll up the tulle (cutting off the uneven ends and then cutting the roll into smaller pieces...like so:

If you want to add ribbon also cut that up into pieces long enough to tie around the frame. Once you have everything all cut up it will look like this:
Now we are ready to start tying. Making a pattern of your liking, (just tulle) take one piece at a time and make a double knot around the frame, just tight enough that it doesn't move easily. Follow this pattern all the way around the frame. Here is a photo of the process:

After its completed it will look something like this:

I then went through and looked for spots that were a bit sparse and filled it in with the ribbon. It helps break up the tulle and add depth. I also made a cute name tag with some scrapbooking paper and sticker and tied it to the frame as well.

Completed it will look like this:
This is a picture from Miss H's bedroom door, vintage bedding and all.
And from the end of the bed:
This project cost me $1.49 for the tulle and took 30 minutes from start to end.
I think it turned out pretty cute.
~Amanda


I shared this on:
Visit thecsiproject.com




BWS tips button

4 comments:

  1. Very very cute and oh so perky!!! Please come over to Midchix and link this up in the Craft Mamas Flock! Darling!
    http://www.midchix.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo so cute!!
    I'm your newest follower. Come visit me sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday! I am stopping by via the linky party.

    Your frame looks utterly charming!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?