Saturday, June 26, 2010

Repurposed Patriotic Windsock

Idaho weather has been most unpredictable lately. All the wind made me want a windsock for the holiday. So here is what I came up with for the Independence Day display. All my supplies were things I had around the house. This is a great activity for tween-aged kids.


Needed Supplies:
Dark denim jeans
Red and White acrylic paint
2 foam paint brushes (1 for each color)
potato(for star stamping)
wire hanger (use wire cutters if necessary)
yarn or embroidery floss (I used red)
scissors and needle

To make this windsock… repurpose an old pair of dark denim jeans. Cut the legs off as shown below. Make two windsocks or save the other leg for another craft another day.

Lay pant flat and begin painting stripes. I chose to paint on the diagonal. Leave about 8 inches at the top without stripes. This is where you will paint stars.Leave 1 1/2 inches at top unpainted for the casing.

Don’t get distracted by cute son reading to cute granddaughter.

I suggest at this point – cutting a potato into a star shape and stamping on white stars at the top of the pant where there are no stripes. You can stencil or paint freehand if you want. I like potato prints so that is what I do. I waited to paint on the stars until the end due to my distraction, I don't suggest that – but it was well worth it. When I did finally paint on the stars with my potato stamp, I got so into it, I forgot to take photos, so sorry.

Next fashion a wire hanger into a circle that will fit into the top of the pant.

Pin hanger circle into place. Flipping about 1 inch of the top over the hanger. This forms the casing around the hanger.


Whip stitch hanger into place with yarn or embroidery floss ( which is what I used here…).


Leave extra yarn or floss and tie three floss leads up into a knot, so you can hang it from a tree. I ran out of floss so I used a ribbon. Cut up from the ankle into approx. 8 strips to make the streamers that will blow.

Ta-Da! You are done!

~jan




NightOwlCrafting




Hoo Am I...?
1. Do you have any siblings? I am the middle child of 3 and the only girl!
2. Do you have any children? I have 4 children, 1 great SIL and a beautiful granddaughter who will be featured on Thursday the 1st.
3. Are you a morning or night person? I am a night person, but I am more productive in the morning after I have leisurely woken up.
4.Are you organized or spontaneous? I CAN be organized, but lately spontaneous or actually, 'random'.
5. What is your typical 4th of July like? Laid back at home? Community celebrations? etc...? Last year we did a picnic in the park, whole family played ultimate frisbee, then we arrived home for the massive hail storm(SE Idaho). At dusk, in the wet slush, we did fireworks together and then went to watch the big community fireworks display. The 4th of July is my favorite holiday!!

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!


SYS Thurs
UndertheTableandDreaming

9 comments:

  1. It turned out super cute! I think I need one at my house:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and clever! The diagonal stripes are a nice idea. They draw the eye even when the wind isn't blowing. What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have completely forgotten what it is like to leisurely wake up. Between the regular schedule of getting up for work and having a toddler, my weekend mornings start way too earlier. At what age do the kiddos start to sleep later?? :) Very cute windsock. I'm visiting from Hoo Are You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the windsock, it's such a cool idea. Oh my goodnes, hail storm in July! Happy fourth. Stopping by from Hoo Are You Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the windsock! I have lots of family that lives in SE Idaho, all around the Pocatello area! I am so excited that you linked up to Hoo are you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool that you reused a pair of jeans! Thanks for joining the Patriotic Parade!
    have a safe and happy 4th!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved this idea as well. Much better than the cheapy ones you get at the store that fade, even before you can use them again the following year.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?