Thursday, July 21, 2011

2 Fat Quarters and an Old Shirt



I made these shorts in the same manner as the ones shown in a tutorial Here. They are an upcycled t-shirt! So easy when you use the t-shirt hem for the hem of the shorts, makes for a quick project.

Then I made a basic pillowcase dress or in this case a shorter version for a shirt like this One. I always make a few adjustments each time I make one, this time being no different, I wanted to share what I did.

Instead of the typical binding with bias tape (bought or homemade)to go around the armholes, I used the remaining hem of the t-shirt after making the shorts, it was the perfect length for this approx. size 3-4 shirt.

After sewing the front and backs together, I pressed open the seams and pinned the shirt hem along the arm hole, right sides together. Then stitched it up.

Then I pressed it and top stitched so the seam would lay flat and not rub little Misses underarm...
Then I folded over the top to make the casings on the front and back...

I have misplaced the ribbon I intended for the ties and am quite happy I did so. I really like the 1/4" drawstring I used instead. I knotted the drawstring over the shoulder rather than a bow and it worked great - no retying bows all day.

I think she is pretty happy to be wearing her new outfit...
or maybe the smiles are for the geese and ducks along the Snake River we went to feed.

This outfit is 3 fat quarters and an old t-shirt. I used a 3rd fat quarter as the binding, ties and hem. This was actually a dress 2 years ago and is now worn as a shirt with capri's made from an old t-shirt.

It's so great these little pillowcases dresses can 'grow' with our little girls. I love the Endless creativity and super cute girls!!
Happy sewing!
~jan

1 comment:

  1. I love how the outfit turned out! Thanks for linking to my tutorial...and your baby quilt is darling.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?